How I Got Healthy + Lost 20 Lbs.

Hey gals, I was a little worried to post this and I feel like I left out so many details. Please watch the video first, but here I’m going to do my best and elaborate a little bit here on things I just cannot film me saying. Everything that has happened these last few years still makes me very emotional, which is why I sometimes leave out a lot of details.

If you have been following me from the beginning (over 5 years ago now!) I’m sure you remember that I used to share grocery hauls, organic foods, what I eat in a day, and the like. I took a lot of pride in taking care of myself, feeding my kids healthy organic foods, and I really enjoyed cooking, baking, nourishing my family, working out, and I had a real zest for life. Honestly, I had it pretty good.

All of that changed when our family was required to avoid several food allergens in our home, due to my son being diagnosed with (at the time) severe multiple food allergies. I honestly was so angry, confused, anxious, and stressed. I breastfed both of my children and fed them all organic food and here we were – dealing with food allergies. I stopped sharing because what was previously very important to me changed. The major focus became buying foods that were free of allergens (wheat, oats, eggs, dairy, peanuts, tree nuts, and the list goes on and on – it was so overwhelming.)

I cannot even begin to tell you how anxious foods made me. Feeding my kids became such a stressful thing – and I know that it’s hard to even imagine, but it’s what happened.

I stopped focusing on myself, and my own health and spent all of my time making choices that were the best for my kids.

It’s been 4 years since all of this came to pass, and although we still have some hurdles to climb – overall my headspace is so much better now. I am into a great routine with cooking gluten free meals, and many of the foods that we previously had to avoid in our home are a-okay now. I actually have started to enjoy cooking for my family again and it isn’t as stressful as it once was.

All of this has taught me some very valuable lessons. I still love to feed my kids and myself healthy, organic food – but keeping a balance is what’s important. Our main concern is keeping things gluten free, and then if I can find organic too, it’s a real bonus.

I honestly don’t even like to talk too much anymore about what we are eating, for various reasons. It’s easy to judge one another, and until you have walked in another person’s shoes, one really does not know what they are going through. Today I can honestly say that I feel like God was trying to teach me a lesson. I am thankful everyday for the foods he has given us to nourish our bodies. I am also so much more respectful now of other peoples choices.

To some this may seem like a simple weight loss, but for me loosing this weight is about so much more. It represents of a huge weight I have been carrying these last few years. Some days it would feel like I was carrying the weight of the world on my shoulders, and many days I didn’t know how I was going to manage.

At this point I am right around half way with my weight loss. I was a little scared to even share any details of loosing weight, as in my mind I still worrying about – what if I can’t keep going?

I feel like I’m on this rollercoaster, with all of these factors that I cannot control that could push me off of my path. BUT the one thing I have to keep reminding myself is to stick to a routine, as I know what works and secondly, everyday I wake up with the conscious decision to make good choices for myself, regardless of what craziness is happening with my kids and home life.

As a mom it’s so easy to put ourselves last – which is exactly what I did. I felt horrible, slow, tired, and none of my clothes fit… have you been there?

Anyway, if anything – you’ve learnt a little more about me, and maybe this can inspire you if you have been struggling.

I really look forward to reading your comments. xoxo Jenna

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Products Mentioned

Weight Watchers Freestyle App
Printable Calendars
Kashi Bars
Water Bottle
Yoga With Adriene
Sweat App
Water Bottle
Lole Leggings
Sports Bra
Favourite Tank (this is on a two day deal for $6.50 – what?!)
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

What I’m Wearing

Boho Pink Top
Nails
Foundation
Cheeks & here
Eyes: Lid ShadeCrease ShadeOuter Corner Shade & Mascara
Lips

Share:

8 Comments

1. Rhonda
    March 21, 2018 / 7:14 pm

Jenna, I really enjoyed your post. Hearing about your son’s struggles with food must have been so difficult. I can only imagine. It makes me think of how I have followed others and become so consumed with how everything must be organic and read every label and ingredient. Some days I felt like honestly what is there left to eat? Plus, we don’t have a ton of organic options like some places do. My husband and I do buy some organic but he refuses to pay the price for organic meat which isn’t always available anyway. I use to fret so much about that and then I came to realize that I am really stressing out over food. Now I take a different approach. Pick healthy choices, organic or not, and definitely eat foods as well that I enjoy. Like homemade fries or quesadillas. Things like that. I smiled when I read your comment about….what if you can’t keep going? 🙂 I have felt that way many times but I also realize that I am so determined this time. I am only 5’1 and obviously heavier than you but I have lost 21 lbs so far and have 35 more to go. It feels impossible yet with God anything is possible! I know that He will see me through to my goal. You look incredible Jenna and I don’t see where you need to lose any more weight. Congratulations on your new health journey! You look beautiful. 🙂 xo

• naturalbeautifullife
      Author
      April 3, 2018 / 2:38 pm

I like your approach Rhonda, and I do the same. What would life be without quesadillas? I have them so often for lunch! Congrats on your weight loss! It doesn’t have to be fast, but it does need to be sustainable. 🙂 We will get there with time! Thanks for reading. xo Jenna

2. Michelle Castillo
    March 22, 2018 / 1:52 am

Thank you so much for sharing your journey with us. You look amazing! As a mom with 2 little ones and gluten intolerant myself I completely understand how overwhelming it is. Taking care of yourself and the kids as healthily as possible when there are hurdles to work through is tough at times. Sending you a big hug.

• naturalbeautifullife
      Author
      April 3, 2018 / 2:51 pm

Awww thanks Michelle – it can be very overwhelming by times. I’m glad we are in a better place now. Thanks for reading. xo

3. March 23, 2018 / 3:53 am

What you share is so true for so many. My son could not tolerate his milk at 5 weeks and it was so hard being a new mom and having my baby scream bloody murder after eating. We discovered goat milk formula and it was a God send. I made his formula and had such a hard time worrying about what people thought I was feeding my child. It looked like coffee with creamer :-). It had molasses in it for iron. All that to say I completely understand the stress and worry, which as mom’s takes away from taking care of ourselves. I’m so happy you are able to focus a bit more on what you need while relaxing a bit into your current family needs. We have dietary restrictions but now we are comfortable with them and it;s second nature. Thank you for sharing a bit more of your daily living with us. And I love the cute photo on your video. You look great!

• naturalbeautifullife
      Author
      April 3, 2018 / 2:49 pm

So nice to hear your story Amy – I think as mom’s we feel so alone in some of the struggles we go through. What matters is that we are making the best decisions with the circumstances given. xo Thanks for reading and I’m glad you enjoyed the post! xo

4. Charity
    March 26, 2018 / 1:23 pm

How courageous you are in being real and vulnerable, and I have found so often when I share, there is someone who is so encouraged by it because they may be walking a similar road thinking they were all alone. I too had children born with food allergies. I was breastfeeding and had to change my diet to illiminate the top 7 most allergenic foods as my daughter was suffering from severe eczema. She eventually grew out of all but peanut and tree nuts. All three of mine had problems with food allergies and all three have a peanut allergy. It was frustrating because there was no history of any food allergies on either side of my husband or my families. But God has taught us so much through it, and mostly to be understanding of others going through similar struggles. I have recently been going through my second Whole30 and discovered that I have a gluten and legume intolerance so I am even more understanding of food allergies now! I am truly thankful I bit the bullet and tried it, I never realized just how bad I was feeling and how it was all affecting my hormones. I’ve also lost 15 lbs and hoping to loose 10 more. It’s now become just a way of eating and life for us, that I don’t really think about it. With three kids 7 and under I too didnt have time to think about taking care of myself but last year realized I needed to do something. So glad you have found what works for you and it’s making you feel better! I think there are many of us going through similar challenges so thank you for sharing!

• naturalbeautifullife
      Author
      April 3, 2018 / 2:44 pm

Hi Charity, your comment ❤️🙏🏻 We have so much in common, it was the same with our family – no history at all of food allergies. I agree, God has taught me so much and am so much more understanding of others as well. Congrats on your weight loss and thank you so much for sharing. It’s nice to know we aren’t alone in these situations. xo Jenna